Mental Health Awareness Month is here, and with it a purpose: to humanize mental illness. Parajumpers Beige Humanizing mental illness is, in part:
- realizing that mental illness is something a person deals with rather than who a person is
- understanding the specific things a person is experiencing (“mental illness” is a blanket term, as vague as “physical illness)
- seeing someone’s strengths
- realizing that mental illness isn’t a wrong way of being in the world but instead is a different way of experiencing the world
The month of May is devoted to humanizing mental illness, to increasing understanding and empathy. Todd Gurley II Of course, building empathy and understanding isn’t limited to 31 days in an entire year; having a month dedicated to this just intensifies the ever-present purpose. For me, humanizing mental illness is my life’s work. Donne Scarpe Air Jordan 6 Nike Kobe I draw on my professional background as a nationally certified counselor to provide accurate factual information about various mental illnesses because knowing the facts about what these brain-based illnesses are dispels stereotypes and misunderstanding. Ole Miss Rebels And I draw on my personal background, a traumatic brain injury followed by diagnoses of bipolar 1 disorder and anxiety disorders. These come together in the form of novels. Harvard Crimson Jerseys Canada Goose Gants True, novels are fiction. Fiction is a powerful vehicle for teaching fact. Nike Free Rn Flyknit Femme And fiction is about characters, about people. Cincinnati Bearcats Jerseys When reading stories, people empathize with characters. nike air max flyknit Femme Adidas Ultra Boost Femme Commonly, people transfer their empathy to real-life human beings. Parajumpers New Denali This is what mental health awareness is all about: humanizing mental illness and increasing understanding and empathy. NIKE AIR MAX ZERO QS My latest novel, Twenty-Four Shadows was released by Apprentice House on May 1, 2016 to coincide with mental health awareness month. nike air max 2017 nero donna Asics Gel Lyte 3 Femme Rose In the novel, bizarre encounters and behaviors lead family man Isaac Bittman to discover that his personality has splintered into twenty-four shadows, or alters, thanks to the childhood trauma he’s repressed. Is his wife’s love strong enough for all of him? From early reviewers:
- “Twenty-Four Shadows reads like a dramatization of a real-world case of Dissociative Identity Disorder, thanks to Peterson’s skill at humanizing the disorder while maintaining scientific integrity”. Missouri Tigers Jerseys Nike Air Force 1 — Yuliya Geikhman of The US Review of Books; Recommended by the US Review
- “Twenty-Four Shadows is a must-read. nike free run 2.0 homme I fell in love with the characters. This book, just like Ms.